Green Years ...

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Poetry in Persia

The Persian literature is very rich and multi-layered meaningful. They are some old Persian poet who are famous, among which, Khayyam is one of my favorite poets. The movie "The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam" is about his life. Khayyam, a mathematician, philosopher, astronomer and poet lived in some centuries ago in Persia. Reading his poetry was always a relaxing time in my life

There are some other old famous Persian poets, such as Hafez, Molavi, Ferdosi , ... . Among them, I think that Molavi and Khayyam are the most known poets in the Western world. Although it's not easy to translate poets from one language to another, transmitting the ideas. I hope some literature professors had enough courage and knowledge to do such things.

1 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Proshat said...

Well, once I tried to tell a friend what one of the Hafez Poems means... he ended up much more cofused & I ended up searching for a good translation with no luck! Maybe Elahi Ghomsheii (u know him, dont u?) could translate some of the poems... but I'm not sure it would be a good idea since whatever we do the rythem is lost in the translation....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home